We want everyone to enjoy their time at GalatiCon, and following the rules will help us create a space of safety and fun and help you make the most of your time at GalatiCon. We are hard at work reviewing and finalizing our policies, so check back as we will address important topics such as anti-harassment, ADA, cosplay, inclusion, and safety.
- As a ticket holder and attendee of GalactiCon (the “Convention”), you agree to follow this Code of Conduct during your entire time at the Convention. Basically, you may not do anything that is illegal or immoral. While that ought to be enough, we include the following to provide more guidance.
- You must wear your badges or wristbands at all times to be admitted to any Convention function. In other words, yes, you have to wear your badge! Unless children are 5 years old or younger. And then they don’t need a badge or wristband because GalactiCon is free for them. Safety will be looking for badges or wristbands on everybody else, though. To avoid being asked if your child is under 5 you may pick up a wristband in Registration, however, this is not required. And, if you’re old enough to have a driver’s license, then you can roam the halls of the Convention by yourself. We expect that you’re old enough to behave and follow the Convention policies or suffer the consequences if you get busted. But children under the age of 13 need to keep a parent (or guardian) nearby at all times. Badges or wristbands will not be replaced. You cannot give or sell or transfer in any way your badge or wristband to anyone else.
- Possession of alcoholic beverages by anyone under 21 years of age is grounds for expulsion from the convention without a refund. It’s the law.
- Please keep all behavior that polite fans would find offensive in public in your hotel rooms.
- We’ll offer sympathy, but neither GalactiCon nor its personnel are responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property, or for injuries sustained during the course of the Convention.
- Announced events and guests are subject to change and/or cancellation without notice. Every effort will be made to announce any changes via the Internet, pre-Convention publications, and on signs at the Convention but sometimes last-minute changes will occur.
- We reserve the right to ask you to leave the Convention and refuse to refund your ticket money if you are behaving – in technical terms – like a jerk. Harassment of any kind, including physically or verbally threatening, annoying, unwelcoming attentions, stalking, pushing, shoving or use of physical force, which in any way creates a disturbance that is disruptive or dangerous, as well as any boisterous, lewd, or generally offensive behavior or language, using sexually explicit or offensive language or conduct, or profanity, obscene gestures or racial, religious or ethnic slurs will be considered harassment. If people tell you “NO,” your business with them is done. If you continue to attempt to have contact with those people, you may be removed from the premises and your ticket revoked. We have more to say about Harassment below.
- Attendees who choose to ignore this policy may be asked to leave the Convention and will have their badges or wristbands revoked. Violators can also be arrested.
- NO CAMPING IN THE HALLS OR LOBBY! If you are found sleeping in the public areas, you will be asked to go to your hotel room. If you do not have a room, hotel or venue security will be forced to ask you to leave.
- Please do not abuse our hotels or convention facilities. This includes putting signs on walls. Public locations for notices are provided. Room Parties are not allowed. OUTSIDE FOOD AND BEVERAGE ARE NOT ALLOWED. Please don’t damage the facilities.
- It is against the rules of the Convention and all hotels to place or hand out flyers/cards in our/their space. Flyers/cards on an open table in the convention area will be cleared to a trash receptacle. If you are handing out material in an unauthorized Convention area, you will be asked to stop. If it continues, you will be removed from the Convention.
- You will have to pay for any and all damage you cause to Hotel or Convention property. And if you cause damage to a hotel or Convention property, or maybe even other attendees’ property, you may lose your Convention badge and forfeit your ticket.
- Real firearms are not allowed at GalactiCon. This includes those attendees who maintain a Weapons Carry License or a similar permit from another state. GalactiCon Safety, hotel security, and local law enforcement officials will treat anything that looks like a real weapon as a weapon.
- GalactiCon enthusiastically encourages costuming and cosplay. When planning your costumes, please consider the following guidelines.
- GalactiCon has a clear “no weapons” policy for the entire Convention that will be enforced. All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons – including water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow peace-bonded weapons – thanks!
- Costumes must adhere to local decency laws. In practical terms, this means “bikini areas” must be covered at all times for all genders. Footwear is required on convention premises.
- Costumes and props must abide by all facility regulations, local and federal laws, and regulations for the facility, city, county, and State of Colorado.
- Costumes may not contain or display elements that disparage, harass, or attack any person, gender, gender presentation, pronoun choice, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, national origin, language, culture, religion, age, or affiliation.
- Culture is not a costume. Black, brown or yellow face makeup, cultural appropriation, and other ethnic stereotyping is not permitted. What is cultural appropriation? Learn more here.
- No live steel, projectiles, or realistic-appearing firearms. No liquids, aerosols, silly string, or projectile foam.
- Props resembling futuristic or fantasy weapons, boffer swords, or oversize objects are allowed provided they are not handled in a careless, threatening, or destructive manner against persons or property.
- If you think you can make money doing it at the Convention, it’s probably not allowed unless you have written permission from GalactiCon. That is especially true when you’re taking pictures or video or making audio recordings of the awesome stuff and people at GalactiCon. All GalactiCon attendees at the GalactiCon Convention are prevented from taking, recording, or creating film, or digital pictures, videos, tapes, sound recordings, or any other visual or auditory recreation of any kind whatsoever, of any GalactiCon guest, attendee, volunteer, or employee, or of any GalactiCon event, any GalactiCon forum, seminar, session, dance, or performance, for any commercial use, or for the solicitation of funds for any commercial or other purpose, without the express written permission of Macterprise LLC. If you spent all year building the perfect costume, please give freely when people want to take pictures of you. Selfie sticks are not allowed for Safety.
- By entering the convention, you agree to photographed or videotaped for the sole and exclusive use of GalactiCon.
- No devices, no drones, no lighter than air objects, either powered or un-powered, may be flown, tethered, released, or deployed at any event, common space, lobby, Vendor Hall, meeting, or function room at GalactiCon.
- You may be asked to line up for specific events, and there may be separate lines for events or guests that are managed by GalactiCon safety, you are required to follow their instructions, any failure to do so may result in your removal from the Convention.
- We are still dealing with the pandemic from Covid-19 and its variants. You agree to abide by any GalactiCon Covid-19 protocols, which may change, even if you disagree with these protocols. You understand that GalactiCon will have thousands of people who will be indoors and very near each other, and you. You will risk contracting Covid-19 or a variant while you travel to or from GalactiCon, and throughout the event. GalactiCon and its personnel are not liable to you or anyone else for an illness, injury, or death that may occur, wholly or even in part, from Covid-19 or a variant. You assume the risk of any illness, injury, or death from contracting Covid-19 or a variant during GalactiCon, including traveling to or from the event, entering any of the Hotels, or participating in Convention activities.
- GalactiCon reserves the right to revoke or suspend tickets. If you break a Convention rule, you may be barred from the event, either for several hours (to sober up, perhaps) or for the rest of the Convention. If you break the law – city, state, or federal – you may be arrested. If you have been accused of harassment and feel that you were treated unfairly, you may appeal to the Convention chair, but that decision will be final.
Most importantly, have fun.